September 7, 2023
Next Sunday 17 September Bishop Brian will be confirming 29 children during the 9.30am Mass. Please pray for the candidates and their families as they prepare for this important milestone.
Pastoral Care in our Parish Our parish is blessed with a Pastoral Care Team who seek to spiritually support those in our parish who may not be able to attend Mass for a number of reasons; eg, illness, bereaved, living in a nursing home, grieving or lonely. We aspire to be visible signs of God’s loving and caring presence in the life of a person who feels they need or will benefit from prayer and spiritual support. Prayer and a kind listening ear is often balm that promotes healing. This ministry is able to celebrate the Eucharist on such visits if requested. If you or anyone you know would like more information please contact the parish office.
MenALIVE Macarthur Regional Weekend: 9-10 September, Micah House, Campbelltown.
- Mary in Scripture: You are invited to discover the unique role of Our Lady, as the Ark of the Covenant, New Eve, and Queen Mother in this eye opening in-service presented with Mr Daniel Saliba (CCD Wollongong) revealing the deep theological connections between Mary and her ancient biblical types. Monday 18th September: 9:30am – 12:00pm;
- Fundraising event; 23 September at 7pm. Campfire & Open Mic Night. Come along for a relaxed family evening with a campfire and entertainment. The cost will be $20 pp or $50 per family (dinner included; BYO drinks). For more information contact the parish office.
- Pilgrimage to Mary MacKillop Place n North Sydney on Wednesday 27 September by train. The day will include a visit to the museum, Mass in the chapel, and lunch. Museum entry is $10 for adults and $6 for children. Morning tea and lunch is available for $25 per person. For more info and to register please call the parish office by 22 Sept.
- Sacramental preparation dates are now available on the parish website.
- Intercessory Prayer group Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is held every Saturday at 9:30-10:30am. Everyone is invited to join the prayer.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation is available on Saturdays from 11am to 12pm.
- Faith Circles is on every Monday at 2pm and 7pm via zoom.
- The Samoan Mass will be at 12 midday on the first Sunday of every 2 months; October, December 2023
- The Maori Mass is on the first Sunday of each month at 2pm.
- The Filipino Mass is on the third Sunday of each month at 11.15am.
- The Divine Mercy Devotion is on the third Sunday of each month at 3pm
- On The Journey podcast this Week Fr Mike Delaney says this Gospel challenges how we respond to issues within our faith communities. Mother Hilda says the sunrise is a metaphor for God in our life. Plus, Fr Tony Percy, Robert Falzon, and Byron and Francine Pirola. The Journey podcast available at www.jcr.org.au.
- Catholic Men’s Conference 2023 ‘Be Not Afraid’ 16 September The Inaugural ‘Catholic Men’s Conference’ – BE NOT AFRAID is a one day conference for men (18yrs plus) at St Mary’s Cathedral Hall from 8am to 4.30pm.The conference will include breakfast, coffee/tea, talks by guest speakers, Q&A Panel, adoration, confession, Mass in St Mary’s Cathedral, lunch and fellowship. Tickets are $55 and Concession Ticket is $45. CLERGY and SEMINARIANS are FREE More details and Registration : https://www.trybooking.com/CKKF
- Become a CatholicCare foster carer! The CatholicCare foster care team are urgently looking for a forever home for Ollie* who is 8 years old. Ollie is a very engaging, outgoing, polite and active boy. Ollie enjoys swimming, going to the park, playing Nintendo, watching movies, colouring in, and trying new foods. Ollie would love to learn to ride a bike and play soccer or Oz Tag. Ollie is looking for a forever home with carers who are kind, caring, calm, and patient who can give him a sense of security and belonging. You can find out more by calling 0418 783 956, email email@example.com or go to http://www.catholiccare.dow.org.au for more information. CatholicCare will support you every step of the way. *name has been changed for privacy
- Jamberoo Arts & Crafts Exhibition ‘By the Work of our Hands’ Come and join us for the Jamberoo Arts & Crafts Exhibition being held at the Old Fire Station Kiama. Date: 22 – 27 September from 10am- 3:30pm, Save the date and bring your friends and family along and enjoy beautiful Kiama and discover the beauty ‘By the Work of our Hands’.
- Ignite Conference 23 ‘Wonder” Sydney 28 September – 1 October: Ignite Conference is a gathering of Catholics for four days of real-world formation, renewal of faith, great people and powerful worship. Join over 2000 high schoolers, young adults, leaders, teachers, priests and religious taking part in a life changing encounter with God and His Church. Registration: https://igniteconference.com.au/
- The Bishop’s Annual Appeal will be promoted in our parish next weekend 16/17 September “Our faith calls us to help one another through prayer and action. Offering dignified support and care for our retired clergy, who have always cared for us; and a sound and holistic formation of our young seminarians, our future priests, are my responsibilities as your Bishop. I seek your prayers and practical support to help me ensure that I can do this. Your donation to this appeal is very much appreciated.” + Bishop Brian Mascord
- Sisters of Charity of Australia Heritage Centre We invite you to come and share in the story of Australia’s first religious sisters. We’d love to welcome you! Open Tuesday to Thursday 10am- 3pm or by appointment. Bookings recommended. Our centre celebrates over 180 years of ministry of the Sisters of Charity of Australia. Enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 9138 0835
A women’s opportunity to experience a Cursillo three-day weekend A Cursillo weekend will be held at Carmel House, Varroville from Thursday evening 5 October to Sunday afternoon 8 October 2023. To view brochure and find out more, please scan the QR code, click the link, email email@example.com or ring Geraldine Dayball on 0421 329 365.
Micah House Resource Centre Campbelltown All of the faithful, especially in the Macarthur Region, are invited to visit the CCD & Evangelisation Resource Centre and enjoy a cuppa and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and some fellowship. Exciting News! The Shop is Now Open, with books, gifts, and cards for many occasions, particularly sacraments. We also have expanded the Resource Library, with a wider selection of materials that anyone from parishes can borrow for personal faith development. The Centre is open from 9am to 3pm, Monday to Thursday, at 35a Cordeaux St, Campbelltown (Entry from the Rear). Please contact Cindy Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 4640 8550 for any inquiries. We eagerly look forward to seeing you!
Music is a joyful service. Come serve with the Music Ministry. *musicians• singers • slides •
Do you Value Music at Mass? The challenge we face in our liturgy today is one that affects the whole parish. Our music ministry needs guitar and keyboard players specifically to meet the needs of the near future. All Sunday Masses would benefit from another musician to provide another option to those that currently are committed, sometimes without any break, from week to week. Those who come forward will be well supported with initial formation, resources and tuiton as needed, for as long as needed, before becoming “active” or “live”. There are many current musicians who are willing to share their experience of leading the worship of God through song. The commitment to playing at Mass is based on availability. So if you know anyone who is a competent guitar or keyboard player, and who wants to
belong to a friendly and supportive faith community, please encourage them to value this opportunity. For details contact the Parish office or approach the choir after mass. Let us all pray for the growth of this ministry as an expression of our thanksgiving to God.
Could you provide a forever home? CatholicCare urgently needs foster carers to provide love, care and support to help children thrive and reach their full potential. Carers receive comprehensive support from the Fostering Futures team to ensure they have a full range of resources and networks to nurture their forever home. Our team have over 30 years’ experience helping carers give vulnerable children a loving home and a brighter future. We are currently looking for a forever home for two siblings, Liam* and Sofia* aged 10 & 8 years. Liam is an outgoing & active boy who loves to joke around and makes friends easily. He enjoys playing with Lego, fishing, being outdoors, riding his bike, watching movies, drawing and colouring in. His sister Sofia is a resilient, confident and kind young girl who loves playing with her friends, riding her bike, gymnastics and writing stories. Liam and Sofia are looking for a forever home with carers who are kind, loving and patient and who can give them safety, family and a sense of belonging. *names have been changed for privacy. If you would like to learn more about becoming a carer with CatholicCare, please call 0418 783 956 or email email@example.com for more information and we will support you every step of the way.
St Michael’s Parish Thirroul Centenary Monday 30 October 2023: Special events will be held on 28 October. Details will be announced in the coming months. Anyone with a connection with the parish is invited to join us. Organisers are also interested in any stories and photos of the parish to include in a centenary publication. Inquiries to Judy Bull, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working with Children If you are involved in a ministry that works directly with children it is your responsibility to ensure you have obtained a WWCC and submitted the approval to the parish office before you commence working in your ministry. Various ministries in our Parish involve adults working directly with children including Altar Servers, Children’s Liturgy of the Word, Sacramental Preparation teams, Children’s Ministry, Children’s Choir and Children’s Pageant.
Get Connected with what is on around the Diocese Every week, there are many great opportunities to be part of special events, courses, free resources and to nurture and encourage you and your family in your faith. Stay informed by subscribing at dow.sh/stayingconnected or visit dow.sh/weeklybulletin to see a full list of notices sent to Parishes weekly.
Formed (Free for DoW Parishioners) Join hundreds of other families around the Diocese of Wollongong in nurturing your faith at home, in your own time and at your own pace? FORMED.org is a large Faith Formation Resource library website containing thousands of faith formation documentaries, courses, movies, audio and books covering all aspects of our Catholic faith. Materials for both adults and children. Sign-up for Free using our Diocesan Subscription by contacting email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org,.au
CAtHFAMILY CAtHFAMILY brings you a selection of activities, prayer rituals, crafts, and recipes from their website to assist parents and grandparents in being the first educators in faith for their kids. Don’t miss CathKids cathfamily.org/activities/
Promoting Adult Faith Formation with two popular FREE Catholic Podcasts – Bible in a Year and Catechism in a Year
• Bible in a Year
Last year, Ascension Press ran the Catholic Bible in a Year Podcast featuring Fr Mike Schmitz and Jeff Cavins. It was the world’s number 1 Religious Podcast with over 250 million downloads. It will run again throughout 2023 – and while a new podcast is released daily, you can do it at your own pace by signing up at www.ascensionpress.com/biy and it’s not too late to catch up or just work through at your own pace.
• Catechism in a Year
Following on from this success, Ascension Press has commenced the Catechism in a Year podcast. This podcast will slowly and prayerfully read through and break open the Catechism over 365 days. We have been promoting this formation amongst our SRE Catechists but would encourage you to promote it amongst the faithful of your Parish. It’s not too late to catch up, and the daily podcasts can be listened to at your own pace – over two years or longer – if that suits you. It is available at www.ascensionpress.com/ciy